Wednesday 26 May 2021

Current Events

 L.I: To find the information in a current event

L.I: To identify the author's purpose 


This week for reading we looked at current events. Current events are events that have happened recently. For our activity we had to find information about current events in New Zealand or events that are happening around the world that the news is telling us about. We looked on the Kiwikids News website to find some events. I researched about a 43 million year old whale that was discovered by paleontologists.  A fellow paleontologist Oliver Lambert was in this project. He was the only known paleontologist in this discovery.

 They discovered the whale bones in sand. They found these pieces in Playa Media Luna, Peru. They discovered this in 2019, 4th of April. We don't know how they found it but I read that some of the bones of the four legged whale were excavated and taken to a lab so scientists could research it.

I found this activity interesting because I was really shocked because I didn't know that a four legged whale creature stepped foot on this earth. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this activity Leon. I found it really interesting how something from so long ago can suddenly be found. I wonder why no one else had discovered it before? Have you ever seen a really old bone of an animal? I was amazed when I saw the skeleton of a dinosaur at the museum.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.